Advantages of Conventional Vs Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery
Advantages of cataract surgery that you must know. Cataract is a condition in which the lens of the eye becomes cloudy which makes it difficult to seedue to aging factors and common in older people. Some of the cataract symptoms you can encounter are as follows:
- The color seen by the eye looks faded,
- Feeling glare when looking at light sources such as the sun or lights
- A halo appears,
- bad night vision,
- Double vision or multiple images in one eye.
These symptoms become more pronounced as the cataracts mature. Based on data from the Indonesian Ministry of Health, it is estimated that each year cataract blindness cases increase by 0.1% of the population or approximately 250,000 people per year. Therefore, to remove cataracts in the eye, patients can perform cataract surgery.
Conventional Cataract Surgery (ECCE)
Conventional cataract surgery is called ECCE (Extract Capsular Cataract Extraction) to restore vision by removing the cloudy lens and replacing it with an artificial lens, namely IOL (Intraocular Lens).
The doctor will make an incision in the sclera about 10mm. After that, an Intraocular Lens is inserted. The surgical wound is closed with monofilament nylon sutures and has a depth of approximately 90% of the thickness of the cornea.
Based on the journal MICROSURGERY AND EXTRACAPSULAR CATARACT EXTRACTION, the ECCE operation technique can be divided into three, namely:
- Anterior capsulotomy,
- Nucleus expression, and
- Cortex cleaning.
There are many instructions that must be done to maintain the eye condition post surgery for six weeks as below.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights
- Avoid slouching
- Avoid touching eyes with hands
- Avoid the head area from water when bathing, clean the face using a clean wet cloth,
- Avoid crowded and dusty places, alcohol drinks, smoking
- Avoid shaking / shaking the head vigorously
- Use eye protection when sleeping
- Use sunglasses when outdoors.
Phacoemulsification Cataract Surgery with CENTURION Vision System Machine
With the development of medical science and technology, phacoemulsification cataract surgery is safer than ECCE cataract surgery. This method is considered as the gold standard of procedure because of the following.
- Phacoemulsification cataract surgery has a smaller incision of 3mm
- Faster healing period
Ciputra SMG Eye Clinic uses The New CENTURION Vision System technology, which is the only sophisticated Phaco machine. The advantages of the New CENTURION Vision System are as follows:
- Automatic system
- Ultrasonic Phaco helps break up the cloudy lens
- The patient does not need stitches
- Patients can carry out activities as usual the next day
In conclusion, the advantages of the two cataract surgery methods above are as follows:
- Facoemulsification cataract surgery method is safer in correcting cataracts than conventional cataract surgery, there are no stitches so that the healing process is faster.
- ECCE requires a 10mm incision and sutures closed.
Whatever cataract surgery you choose, you better consult with a doctor who is experienced in their field, Let’s get the best cataract surgery at Ciputra SMG Eye Clinic!